Re: master 1e3b0f2: Improve doc strings of project.el

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: master 1e3b0f2: Improve doc strings of project.el
Date: Fri, 19 Jun 2020 21:49:05 +0300

On 19.06.2020 21:36, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
What I had in mind was a simple filtering by major mode, not unlike
the current filtering by default-directory.  How complicate could that
be?
That's not how it works. A project is defined by the generic functions
the API already has.

Even if some projects would prefer to work with files with certain
extensions only (doesn't sound like a good idea to me), that would be an
extra, new feature. As such, it is irrelevant to this discussion.
You have completely missed my point.  But since you say this is
irrelevant, I won't say more.

Perhaps. So let me clarify a little.

What I originally though you meant, it adding a filter by major modes for non-file-visiting buffers. That kind of makes sense, but that kind of filter shouldn't depend on the project in question (it could, but that, again, would make things more complicated; so let's work with the current model first).

On the flip side, *some* projects could specify that they only work with certain major modes. But a lot of projects won't specify that. And we need these commands to work in both cases. So discussing the projects of the former kind is, again, a complication, and I'd rather we did that later in a separate discussion.