Re: git-send-email

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: git-send-email
Date: Mon, 15 Jun 2020 12:06:35 -0700

On 6/15/20 11:59 AM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

> With Emacs MUAs I'm familiar with, looking at an attachment is very
> easy, almost like looking at the body.  I don't have any problems with
> that.

Yes, I can also look at an attachment reasonably easily (I'm using Thunderbird
FWIW). Still, it's a bit easier to see email without the attachment. This is
pretty typical among MUAs I've used.

>>> how do I know it's in a proper format to be
>>> processed correctly by Git?
>>
>> That problem exists independently of whether the message is sent as-is, or is
>> put into an attachment.
>
> Not if the body/attachment was formatted by "git format-patch".  Then
> the patches have a telltale format and signature that identify the
> format unequivocally.

Yes. Hmm, but I thought that this was the case we were talking about.

Is the problem that people are using 'git send-email' to send patches that were
not formatted via 'git format-patch'? That would indeed be problematic, and if
necessary we can add text to CONTRIBUTE to discourage that.