Re: git-send-email

From: Kévin Le Gouguec
Subject: Re: git-send-email
Date: Mon, 15 Jun 2020 10:23:16 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

> We accept and welcome patches in any form and shape.  However, we
> recommend to use "git format-patch" (see CONTRIBUTE), and for a good
> reason: doing so leaves no doubt regarding the authorship of the
> changes.  Whereas just sending email could dupe us in attributing the
> change to a different person, something that we try to avoid.

AFAIU, git send-email literally just runs format-patch, and sends the
result (with said optional annotation) over SMTP.  I'm not sure what
difference this makes as far as authorship authenticity is concerned?
The From field used by git send-email is literally the From field set by
git format-patch.

Really, the only differences that I can see between format-patch and
send-email are

- for contributors, no need to whip out a mail client and fiddle with
  attachments,

- for maintainers, no need to scan the mail for attachments; just pipe
  the mail itself to git am.

Apologies if I'm missing anything.