Re: Tramp and crypted files

From: Deus Max
Subject: Re: Tramp and crypted files
Date: Fri, 29 May 2020 21:22:14 +0300

On Fri, May 29 2020, Michael Albinus wrote:

> Well, I must confess that I have trouble to make "encfsctl cat --reverse"
> working. Will dig what's up.

The same here too. Keep getting:

   : The configuration loaded is not compatible with --reverse
   : Unable to initialize encrypted filesystem - check path.

Reading from
https://www.reddit.com/r/PlexACD/comments/5l0gqy/mount_in_reverse_mode_for_better_performance/,
found two hints:

  1. setup configuration with provide script
     : add in --reverse which mounts an encrypted (view) of a decrypted
     : folder, vs the current setup which is a decrypted view of the
     : encrypted folder. So encryption is only done upon read rather than
     : write.

  2. IV name chaining.
     : This is probably caused because you have IV name chaining on.
     : (This is set in your .encfs6.xml file). IV name chaining does
     : not work with reverse mounting.

Hope this helps. Of course, YMMV.

DeusM