Tramp nextcloud (was: What is the most useful potential feature which Em

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Tramp nextcloud (was: What is the most useful potential feature which Emacs lacks?)
Date: Tue, 12 May 2020 19:39:53 +0200

Eric S Fraga <address@hidden> writes:

Hi Eric,

>> From the Tramp manual, speaking about the nextcloud method.
>
> Thanks for this.  And, boy, did this ever send me down a rabbit
> hole... anyway, finally managed to get GNOME running and created an
> "online" account.

Hmm. I'm not good in documentation. If you have proposals for the
manual, pls tell me.

> Now, back with my usual DE/WM and running Emacs
> again, I get an error like this:
>
> tramp-signal-hook-function:
>    Host name ‘MY.NEXTCLOUD.SITE’ does not match
>    ‘\`\(127\.0\.0\.1\|::1\|localhost6?\|t3610\)\'’
>
> and I don't see why it should as that is the regexp for identifying a
> local host, which is most definitely what I do not want given that I am
> trying to connect to a nextcloud server...  hey hum.  Tramp info manual
> not helpful in this regard unfortunately.

I have a nextcloud account on host "ecloud.global" with the user name
"michael.albinus@e.email". (Well, this belongs to the /e/ project, a
Google-less phone). So I open in Emacs

C-x C-f /nextcloud:michael.albinus@e.email@ecloud.global:/

Does this help? If not, what OS, Emacs version and Tramp version (if not
the Emacs built-in Tramp) are you using? Do you have enabled D-Bus in
your Emacs built?

> Anyway, apologies for hijacking the thread although, in my defence, the
> desirable potential feature of being able to transparently access
> resources on the web is what started me off...

I've changed the subject :-)

> Thanks again Michael.

Best regards, Michael.