Re: Drop the Copyright Assignment requirement for Emacs

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: Drop the Copyright Assignment requirement for Emacs
Date: Thu, 14 May 2020 15:17:50 +0300

On 14.05.2020 08:14, Richard Stallman wrote:
   > Publishing a better "getting started" guide would go against our
   > "principles"?

That depends on what would be "better" about the proposed "better" guide.

If it teaches the same things and is better inthe manner of teaching
them, I think we would embrace it.

The goal is pretty much this, except one obstacle is missing a number of (otherwise libre software) packages in GNU ELPA, because of the copyright assignment difficulties.

But if the "improvement" consists of recommending things that go
against our principles, then yes that guide would go against our
principles.

I think Eli has a feeling it would be the latter case.

I don't see why. Or what part of the previous discussion would lead him (or you) to that conclusion.