Re: Drop the Copyright Assignment requirement for Emacs

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: Drop the Copyright Assignment requirement for Emacs
Date: Mon, 18 May 2020 14:33:27 +0300

On 18.05.2020 08:56, Philippe Vaucher wrote:
I just had to sign something online and I wonder if Emacs copyright
assignments could not use the same mechanism.

It was done with Adobe Sign, basically it displayed a PDF to me in my
browser and I could sign by writing on my keyboard (displayed using a
"hand-written" font), draw with my mouse, or import an image of my
signature (or even use my mobile device).

I don't think we need that much options (just type on keyboard), but
surely something similar is doable using only GNU tools no? If you can
reduce the "print - sign - scan - email" cycle to "browse online and
click" I suspect a lot more people would agree to bother with the
copyright assignments.

IIRC US and German citizens can sign the copyright assignment electronically (no snail mail involved). Citizens of other countries can't do that yet.