Re: Why are so many great packages not trying to get included in GNU Ema

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Why are so many great packages not trying to get included in GNU Emacs?
Date: Wed, 13 May 2020 00:07:01 -0400

  > Currently, the way you answer such a question is that you look at
  > the commit, try to determine the author, and check a list of
  > people who have assigned copyright to see if the author is in it.

  > This process is cumbersome, because few have access to the list.
  > One way to make it smoother is to add an API that gives access to
  > that list.

I would like to make that easier.  That may be complex.  We don't
publish the list, for privacy reasons.  We don't want to offer
the public a way to probe the list.  We can offer certain people
access to probe the list in limited ways.  We need to discuss that
with the FSF.

  > Indeed, currently, when you assign copyright to the FSF, you sign
  > a document with a GPG key.  The FSF could sign that key to
  > indicate "we have received copyright papers for this author".

  > Then, to verify "do we have papers for the author of this commit",
  > anyone could check "is this commit signed with a key signed by the
  > FSF"?

At first glance, this looks good to me.  It would be necessary
for people to study it to make sure it doens't have problems.

--
Dr Richard Stallman