Re: Why are so many great packages not trying to get included in GNU Ema

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Why are so many great packages not trying to get included in GNU Emacs?
Date: Wed, 13 May 2020 18:00:47 +0300

> Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden, address@hidden,
>  address@hidden, address@hidden, address@hidden,
>  address@hidden
> From: Clément Pit-Claudel <address@hidden>
> Date: Wed, 13 May 2020 00:22:56 -0400
>
> Maybe we can publicize a part of the list which would not violate privacy?
> When I signed my copyright papers, I answered yes to a question that said
> "Would it be acceptable for us to publicize your contribution by
> microblogging that you are contributing, and listing your name in our monthly
> newsletter?".  I think it is safe to assume that those who answered yes to
> this question do not object to appearing on a public list; correct?

If you suggest making public a part of the entries in the list, then
this would be worse than not publishing it at all, I think.

If you suggest publishing part of the _data_ in each entry, then this
should work in principle, but (a) "Someone" needs to do the work of
setting this up, and (b) even in this case there might be issues which
need to be resolved.  For example, some people need to submit
disclaimers from their employers, in addition to their personal
assignment, but publishing that part discloses their employment, which
may be invading their privacy.  Others have other private arrangements
mentioned, or are minors who need their parents' permissions, etc.
Deciding which of this is necessary to make sure a person's assignment
is in order, while at the same time avoiding disclosure of private
information is the hard part of the job.  At least AFAIU, that is.