Re: What is the most useful potential feature which Emacs lacks?

From: Jose A. Ortega Ruiz
Subject: Re: What is the most useful potential feature which Emacs lacks?
Date: Wed, 13 May 2020 02:22:43 +0100

On Tue, May 12 2020, Helmut Eller wrote:

[...]

> 1. Improving display of long lines.  Emacs gets very unresponsive when a
> buffer contains long lines.  This is something I run into rather
> frequently and it's very irritating.  Apparently this is a difficult
> problem to fix because to the display code needs to "measure" how long
> the line is in pixels and there is no other way to that than to iterate
> over each character in a line.  But it may be possible reduce the number
> of how often this measuring needs to done.  It seems to me that
> web-browsers also need a long time to display long lines, but once the
> line is drawn, scrolling works as quick as for short lines.
>
> 2. Being able to display HTML/CSS/SVG the way mainstream web-browsers
> display would be nice.  But probably too big a project.  And in the long
> run, probably a reason for Emacs to go extinct.

Just wanted to say, as someone who uses Emacs for literally everthing
except visiting a few web pages, that these two projects are exactly the
ones i'd need more.  In case someone's counting :)

Cheers,
jao, who wishes he had time to hack on this.
--
Experience is not what happens to you; it is what you do with what
happens to you.