Re: PL support (was: Drop the Copyright Assignment requirement for Emacs

From: João Távora
Subject: Re: PL support (was: Drop the Copyright Assignment requirement for Emacs)
Date: Sat, 9 May 2020 17:02:20 +0100

t's is On Sat, May 9, 2020 at 4:55 PM 조성빈 <address@hidden> wrote:
> Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> 작성:

> I thought João wrote eglot which is in ELPA for this?

Yes, you're correct.  This is the goal from the start.

> (FWIW I don’t use it personally because I found it didn’t work with
> the servers I use, but when I used it shortly it was pretty great, a
> pretty smooth process. I was impressed.)

Maybe it works now.  Its goal is to work with any server that speaks
LSP protocol.

> And it’s definitely much better than before, Emacs now works with a lot of
> ‘modern’ languages. Unfortunately, LSP doesn’t provide support for syntax
> highlighting, but I thought tree-sitter is being worked on for that?

Are you sure about this and LSP?  I mean tree-sitter is fantastic, but
I'm pretty sure LSP has some of this at least outlined:

https://github.com/microsoft/language-server-protocol/issues/18

It's bound to be pretty VS Code centric though, but that's another
discussion.   Having "full" LSP in Emacs would certain give us better
arguments to lobby for a less VSCode-centric specification.

João Távora