Re: bug-reference.el: Allow custom handlers for opening URLs

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: bug-reference.el: Allow custom handlers for opening URLs
Date: Tue, 05 May 2020 09:49:29 -0400

>> After all, the autoloads are supposed to run before the .emacs, so the
>> user can `add-to-list` just fine to override whatever was added by
>> autoloads.
> I don't quite understand.  Let's assume debbugs would add a handler and
> I wouldn't like to use it.  Isn't it correct that it would add it as
> soon as it is loaded

No, it would add it via an ;;;###autoload cookie, so it's added when the
package is activated (which used to happen via a call to
`package-initialize` either inside the .emacs or, as a last resort,
afterwards, but since Emacs-27 it now happens before the .emacs is
loaded via a call to `package-activate-all`).

>> But they're not autoloaded, so in the loaddefs.el file, you have
>> a reference to it without the preceding definition.
> I'm pretty sure I've tried adding autoload cookies to them as well and
> got the same error.

I'm pretty sure this can be made to work, but yes it's fiddly and it's
not the way I'd recommend in any case.

        Stefan