Re: Proper namespaces in Elisp

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Proper namespaces in Elisp
Date: Tue, 05 May 2020 09:45:32 -0400

> Sure can be done (it is done) and we all got used to that but is just a
> source of bugs due to bad design, not a feature.

While I largely agree that working at the level of symbols is not fully
satisfactory, I don't think it deserves to be called "bad design".

If you work at the level of bindings only you will have trouble with all
the uses of symbols that are expected to be namespaced but appear quoted
in code (e.g. face names, variable and function names inside macros,
hooks, args to `add-to-list`, command names passed to `define-key`,
command names within menus, ...).

It's just a hard problem with no perfect solution, AFAIK.

        Stefan