Re: bug-reference.el: Allow custom handlers for opening URLs

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: bug-reference.el: Allow custom handlers for opening URLs
Date: Sun, 03 May 2020 17:24:32 +0200

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

>> currently all bug references are opened using `browse-url'.  I'd like
>> to have a way to override that behavior, e.g., so that I can use the
>> debbugs package for reports for GNU packages using the debbugs
>> tracker.
>>
>> Below is a patch which makes that possible.  Is it ok to commit that?
>> Something to improve?
>
> How 'bout hooking into browse-url instead, so that all uses of
> browse-url for debbugs URLs would be redirected to the debbugs
> package?

Yes, that's probably even better/more generic.  But again, I wouldn't
want to hard-code that, so I guess we'd want some `browse-url-handlers'
in browse-url.el doing basically the same as the
`bug-reference-url-handlers' I proposed, right?

Looking at it, there're already some special handlers for mailto: and
man: page URLs.  Should I convert those to default entries of the new
`browse-url-handlers' alist?  (IMHO, yes.)

And should the presence of `debbugs-gnu-bugs' create an entry in the
alist, i.e., should having debbugs installed be enough to open bug links
with debbugs or should we still be using the browser?

Bye,
Tassilo