Re: Tabs

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: Tabs
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2019 01:08:55 +0300

>> When I use C-x 6 b ... I see another file in tab (tab-bar-03.png) but
>> to switch between the I have to click more times, at least initially,
>> and why all those empty box?
>
> The empty boxes seem to indicate that Emacs is unable to load the
> icons for closing and opening tabs, they should be displayed instead
> of the empty boxes.  If you are running an installed Emacs, perhaps
> "make install" have a bug whereby it doesn't install the tab-related
> images?

The problem is that tab-bar.el is pre-loaded by loadup.el and
dumped with the value of data-directory from the source location.
So running from the dump file even in the install directory
still uses source data-directory.

A pre-loaded definition looks like:

  (defvar tab-bar-new-button
    (propertize " + "
                'display `(image :type xpm
                                 :file ,(expand-file-name
                                         "images/tabs/new.xpm"
                                         data-directory)
                                 :margin (2 . 0)
                                 :ascent center))
    "Button for creating a new tab.")

and indeed I checked in the dump file that it contains
the expanded source data-directory.

I don't know how this case should be handled.
Maybe to create the image on the first use of the tab-bar?