Re: Tabs

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: Tabs
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2019 22:44:41 +0300

>> > The problem is that tab-bar.el is pre-loaded by loadup.el and
>> > dumped with the value of data-directory from the source location.
>> > So running from the dump file even in the install directory
>> > still uses source data-directory.
>>
>> Why can't you compute the value at run time, rather than at dump time?
>> Like the first time the tab bar is activated?
>
> I see that you have done so, thanks.
>
> However, there should be no need to explicitly expand-file-name for
> the image files, as the documentation of the :file attribute says:
>
>   ‘:file FILE’
>        This says to load the image from file FILE.  If FILE is not an
>        absolute file name, it is expanded relative to the ‘images’
>        subdirectory of ‘data-directory’, and failing that, relative to the
>        directories listed by ‘x-bitmap-file-path’ (*note Face
>        Attributes::).
>
> So by explicitly calling expand-file-name, you introduce a subtle
> misfeature, whereby x-bitmap-file-path will not be consulted.

I thought first to check with file-exists-p, but it seems
with relative file names this is unnecessary, so I removed this.

Or maybe even better would be to use find-image?

What still worries me is that when the image file doesn't exist
then large rectangles are displayed instead.  I'd like to not put
display property when the image file doesn't exist.