Re: Tabs

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Tabs
Date: Sun, 13 Oct 2019 18:07:32 +0300

> Date: Sun, 13 Oct 2019 16:49:48 +0200 (CEST)
> From: Angelo Graziosi <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden
>
> How can I see the visited files in tabs? When I click in the box whose
> tooltip says 'New tab', it seems that the same buffer is in more than a tab.

If you want to visit a file in another tab, you should visit it with
"C-x t f" (or "C-x 6 f"), not with "C-x C-f".  This is similar to
visiting a file in another frame with "C-x 5 f": unless you do that,
"C-x C-f" visits the file in the current frame and current window.

Another possibility is to turn on global-tab-line-mode.  Then each
_window_ will have tabs, and every time you visit a file in that
window, another tab appears for that window.

This is in NEWS, btw.

> When I use C-x 6 b ... I see another file in tab (tab-bar-03.png) but to
> switch between the I have to click more times, at least initially, and why
> all those empty box?

The empty boxes seem to indicate that Emacs is unable to load the
icons for closing and opening tabs, they should be displayed instead
of the empty boxes.  If you are running an installed Emacs, perhaps
"make install" have a bug whereby it doesn't install the tab-related
images?