RE: Tabs

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Tabs
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2019 15:53:49 -0700 (PDT)

> Fortunately, C-S-t is free to use for tab close undo feature
> since only C-t is bound to transpose-chars, not C-S-t.

[Caveat: I'm no expert on any of this; I haven't followed
this (long!) thread much]; and I don't use a tab bar.]

I thought you guys were discussing key bindings local to
the tab bar.  But when you speak of `C-t' being bound to
`transpose-chars' I wonder - sounds like you're talking
about the global keymap instead.

FWIW, I'm not a fan of dedicating a global key, by default,
for this kind of thing.

Also, it can be overridden by major and minor modes.  In
Dired buffers, for example, `C-t' is a prefix key for
`image-dired-*' commands.  Sure, `C-S-t' could be made
to do something different from `C-t', but do we really
want that here?

In addition, `C-t' and `C-S-t' are repeatable keys (just
hold them down to repeat the command).  If we're talking
now about using `C-S-t' for something other than the
longstanding global`C-t' behavior (`transpose-char') then
I'd prefer that it be saved for some repeatable command,
i.e., a command that it makes sense to be able to repeat
by just holding a key/chord pressed.