Re: Tabs

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: Tabs
Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2019 23:43:50 +0300

>> Today branch fails on Windows (at least..), maybe a typo:
>>
>> [...]
>>   GEN      ../../etc/charsets/IBM862.map
>>   GEN      ../../etc/charsets/IBM863.map
>>   GEN      ../../etc/charsets/IBM864.map
>> xdisp.c: In function 'tab_bar_item_info':
>> xdisp.c:13181:41: error: 'Qclose' undeclared (first use in this function);
>> did you mean 'Qclosed'?
>> 13181 |                                         Qclose,
>>       |                                         ^~~~~~
>>       |                                         Qclosed
>> xdisp.c:13181:41: note: each undeclared identifier is reported
>
> I corrected and it builds.

This is fixed now.

> Some comment:
>
> After removing the code to use tabbar from MELPA in my init.el, I started
> Emacs of your branch and did: M-x global-tab-line-mode. The result is in
> the attachment. I think it should only shows a limited number of tabs, so
> that the buffer names are readable (like in the previous screenshots
> regarding tabbar from MELPA), other wise it is unusable.

I agree that it should show only buffers that you visited in the window,
but I suspect that a long list of previously visited buffers in your window
caused by a desktop bug - it seems the desktop restores all buffers
saved from the previous session using the same window, thus causing
a large list of visited buffers in one window (and as you noted below
there are no such long list of buffers in other windows).

> BTW, I use sr-speedbar from MELPA and as you can see from
> too_many_tabs.png its window contains two tabs (init.el and
> *SPEEDBAR*): maybe it should not contain tabs or at most just that
> regarding speedbar..

Yes, it seems it makes no sense to display tabs in the speedbar window.
Please try this customization:

(add-hook 'speedbar-mode-hook
          (lambda ()
            (setq-local tab-line-format nil)))

Another place I noticed where it could be disabled is *Completions* window.