Re: A project-files implementation for Git projects

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: A project-files implementation for Git projects
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2019 17:41:41 +0300

> From: Tassilo Horn <address@hidden>
> Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2019 08:25:17 +0200
> Cc: address@hidden
>
> Also, I think most vc backends have a way to list tracked files but not
> all those are faster than find is.  "git ls-files" is much faster than
> find but short testing revealed that "hg files" is much slower.

"hg files"?  Did you mean "hg locate", perhaps?  Or are there new
commands in hg that were added lately?  (My installation of Mercurial
is quite old, so maybe I'm out of touch.)

Anyway, whether 'find' or the VC-specific way is faster might be OS
dependent.  I'm guessing you tested on GNU/Linux; on MS-Windows, I get
the opposite results for both hg and bzr (let alone Git), even though
my build of GNU Find is highly optimized and generally much faster
than other ports available on Windows.  Plus, 'find' might not be
available on Windows, whereas the VC backend for a repository must be
available, almost by definition.

So at the very least this should be customizable, and in general,
unless 'find' is orders of magnitude faster, I'd prefer to use VC in
all cases.

Thanks.