Re: next-error use cases

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: next-error use cases
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2018 23:46:24 +0300

>>> But how can you reset it when the location list is in the same buffer
>>> like in case of flyspell where locations of misspelled words are
>>> in the same buffer where next-error navigates, or flymake where
>>> locations of errors/warnings are in the same buffer?
>>
>> Position point on an error message, hit enter.
>
> The error message is usually visible only in the minibuffer, and only when
> point is over the error.

If it's impossible to reset it by hitting enter, then I think we have
only these remaining options:

1. If next-error can't work without the requirement to have a list of
Flyspell mistakes or Flycheck/Flymake errors/warnings printed in a separate
buffer (like "*Occur*"), then such buffer can be possibly implemented
as a hidden buffer with a leading space in its name like for example
" *Flycheck locations*".  ‘next-error-select-buffer’ still should
propose it as a candidate for selection.

2. Flycheck provides its own keybinding ‘C-c ! n’ for ‘flycheck-next-error’
that can be used to reset the navigation.  There are also analogous functions
‘flymake-goto-next-error’ and ‘flyspell-goto-next-error’.

3. Maybe providing only the command next-error-select-buffer to switch
the current navigation is enough even in case when next-error-function
is defined in the same buffer that will be proposed as a candidate.

4. Otherwise, if all else fails, try harder to use visibility as DWIM,
i.e. hide all other navigation windows to start using Flycheck
navigation from the current buffer.