Re: re-organising Emacs FTP

From: Yuri Khan
Subject: Re: re-organising Emacs FTP
Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2018 22:55:27 +0700

On Mon, Apr 9, 2018 at 7:21 PM, Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> wrote:

> - Add a symlink to the latest with a name such that it comes first in
>   the list.
>   Since the sort is "alphabetical" based on ASCII, there aren't many
>   chars that get sorted before "-" so I'm not sure which would be the
>   best choice in this regard.

You mean, like, emacs!latest? That will sort before emacs-*.

Another alternative is to double the dash: emacs--latest. The second
dash will sort before all digits.

However bear in mind the following nuisance: unless the server is
taught to supply an alternative download name, the user will save it
as “emacs--latest-<arch>.zip” and will not be easily able to tell
which version that is.

More practically, the main page should probably link to the most
relevant download(s) of the latest version. That way, only those who
really need something special will have to look at the listing of all
versions, all flavors.