Re: Split `simple.el'?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Split `simple.el'?
Date: Wed, 04 Apr 2018 22:08:39 +0300

> Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden
> From: Paul Eggert <address@hidden>
> Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2018 10:20:13 -0700
>
> On 04/03/2018 11:50 PM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > I don't immediately
> > understand why would it be a hot spot when looking for fonts.
>
> I don't either. However, when I profiled it on Fedora 27 (a low-level
> profile, with --enable-profiling) it was a hotspot.

Does setting inhibit-compacting-font-caches non-nil changes anything
in this regard?

> Although I am not
> observing the same horrible slowdown that Drew is (that is, first
> display of password-word-equivalents help is noticeably slower than for
> typical variables but it is not *horribly* slow), I'm suspicious of
> free_realized_fontsets, which is why I suggested that he comment it out.

If some of the characters there end up being displayed as squares with
hex codepoints, i.e. you have no fonts capable of displaying them,
then this is expected.  I see this on my system as well, and I'm not
surprised.

> We should move password-word-equivalents to an i18n-related file anyway
> (that is, regardless of Drew's problem), as password-word-equivalents
> doesn't belong in simple.el.

That's a separate issue, and will just move the problem from one file
to another.