RE: Split `simple.el'?

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Split `simple.el'?
Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2018 16:15:24 -0700 (PDT)

> > Bingo!  At least it seems you're right.
> > I tried `C-h v password-word-equivalents', without visiting
> > simple.el, and I suffered an even worse delay (_many_ minutes).
> >
> > How did you know?
>
> Because that variable's definition contains the only non-ASCII
> characters in the file, surely:
>
>    C-M-s [ ^ C-q C-SPC - ~ ]

OK.  But that var is present also in Emacs 24.5, and it has
the same number of elements, and in 24.5 it takes only (!)
about 30 sec to visit simple.el.

(Anyway, just having simple.el or *Help* with that var's doc
string open brings Emacs to a crawl - essentially hangs it up,
in Emacs 25-27.  In Emacs 24.5 those just slow it down a bit.)