RE: Split `simple.el'?

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Split `simple.el'?
Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2018 19:57:40 -0700 (PDT)

>>> That being said, the problem he's having is due to the value of
>>> password-word-equivalents
>>
>> Do we know that for a fact?
>
> Although it seems obvious to me, Drew can easily verify this by
> temporarily removing the non-ASCII characters from simple.el,
> restarting Emacs, and visiting the file.

I copied simple.el to file foo.el, removed the password
defcustom, saved the file, restarted Emacs and visited
the file.  There was no slowdown at all.

Actually, I also saved the defcustom as a separate file,
and I tried to visit that file and got the same kind of
slowdown.

So yes, it seems to be that defcustom that is the
problem, for me.