Re: ASCII-folded search [was: Re: Upcoming loss of usability ...]

From: Artur Malabarba
Subject: Re: ASCII-folded search [was: Re: Upcoming loss of usability ...]
Date: Wed, 24 Jun 2015 22:59:28 +0100

>> It's easy for things like “ⓐ” or “á”, which are single characters,
>> normalizing a combination of multiple characters (like “á”) can get a
>> little complicated. But then, I don't think we want to do either.
>
> I'm testing your changes right now and noticed the following problem:
>
> 0. emacs -Q
> 1. C-h H (‘view-hello-file’)
> 2. C-s i (search for ‘i’)
>
> matches such substrings as “in”, “iv”, ‘ii’ …
>
> Maybe we should add explicit exceptions for such cases?

Yes, I saw that too. I've added a clause that will generally prevent
one letter from mathing multiple letters (it can still match multiple
characters, as long as only one of them is a letter).

> It doesn't enable by default, so it could be combined with the same logic
> like in ‘isearch-toggle-case-fold’.  In any case we have to find a good
> mnemonic key binding to toggle the new character-folding mode.

I think I'll set it to M-s f. Both c and h are already taken (not sure
why, but `h' feels mnemonic here) and f is the next best thing I
think. Or we could use a quote M-s '