Re: Upcoming loss of usability of Emacs source files and Emacs.

From: Steinar Bang
Subject: Re: Upcoming loss of usability of Emacs source files and Emacs.
Date: Thu, 18 Jun 2015 22:16:53 +0200

>> From: Steinar Bang <address@hidden>
>> Date: Thu, 18 Jun 2015 20:13:13 +0200

>> I'm pretty sure all native users of "å" would never wish a search to hit
>> "a"

> You were talking about "aa" previously, not "a".

Well, both actually.  One as the equivalent (or actually: old
orthography for the same sound), and one that looks similar but is an
entirely different sound. I wasn't sure which one you meant.

> I think hitting "aa" when searching for "å" is as reasonable in
> certain cultures as hitting "SS" when searching for "ß" in some
> others, or as hitting "fi" when searching for "fi" (and vice versa).
> Users don't _always_ want that, but sometimes they might.

It could be reasonable (if a bit unexpected...) for a Dane or a
Norwegian, but not necessarily reasonable for a Swede.

My personal preference would be to make "å" match "å" (and maybe "Å" for
case insensitive search).