Re: Upcoming loss of usability of Emacs source files and Emacs.

From: Steinar Bang
Subject: Re: Upcoming loss of usability of Emacs source files and Emacs.
Date: Thu, 18 Jun 2015 19:23:24 +0200

> Also, this doesn't handle decomposed characters, as in 'å'.  So this
> is not really Unicode-compliant, it's a half-measure of sorts.

(I'm not sure it is relevant for this discussion, but to the actual
users of "å", "å" isn't an "a-with-an-accent" but a proper letter in the
alphabet with its own position in the alphabet.  When sorting, it would
in some countries using it, be expected to have "aa" sorted
equivalently, but never "a" (å is at or near the end of the alphabets
using it, "a" is at the start).  In a search engine hits with "aa"
instead of "å" would be expected, but in emacs search I would only
expect to hit "å" and "Å")