Re: bzr branch makes bogus "No space left on device" claim and dies

From: B Smith-Mannschott
Subject: Re: bzr branch makes bogus "No space left on device" claim and dies
Date: Thu, 7 Jan 2010 12:45:55 +0100

On Thu, Jan 7, 2010 at 12:40, Sascha Wilde <address@hidden> wrote:
> B Smith-Mannschott <address@hidden> wrote:
>> displaying progress, I found "bzr: ERROR: [Errno 28] No space left on
>> device", which must be in error. (There are 98GB free on the local
>> file system holding the shared repository; 15GB are free on the
>> partition holding /tmp and /var/tmp.)
>
> what does `df -i' state for the file systems in question?  Many file
> systems (notable ext2/3) do have a limited number of inodes so that not
> only the sum files sizes but also the absolute number of files is
> limited.

$ df -i /home /var /tmp
Filesystem            Inodes   IUsed   IFree IUse% Mounted on
/dev/mapper/vgone-lvhome
                     13107200 3250752 9856448   25% /home
/dev/mapper/vgone-lvroot
                     1638400  418042 1220358   26% /
/dev/mapper/vgone-lvroot
                     1638400  418042 1220358   26% /

That's not the issue.

Could the "No space on device" message have been coming from the
server side? I ask because in googling about the 'No handlers could be
found for logger "bzr"'
message I read about cases where that error was in fact coming from
the server side, due to stale locks or unkilled ssh processes. Perhaps
the "no space" message I saw resulted form some intermittent problem
on savannah, and didn't actually originate on my machine?

// Ben