Re: My Emacs unicode 2 crash again when I do some *Replace String (M-%)*

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: My Emacs unicode 2 crash again when I do some *Replace String (M-%)*, I give the debug informations under gdb in the attachments.
Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2007 06:24:08 +0200

> From: Richard Stallman <address@hidden>
> Date: Wed, 07 Mar 2007 12:25:58 -0500
> Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden, address@hidden
>
>     should work.  The current default for Emacs is "-g -O2".  I think it
> should
>     be "-g" for CVS Emacs, but I think that we might have had this discussion
>     on the mailing list before.
>
> I use  -g -O0 -fno-inline  for best debugging.

Lamentably, given the current attitude of the GCC maintainers, there's
no other way.  It looks like no one cares anymore about code
developers who need to debug and test the same code they eventually
ship at release time.  If you use GCC, you are forced to debug and
test with -O0, and then ship a program compiled with -O2 which you
didn't debug and test.

I couldn't convince GCC developers that debuggability is much more
important in the vast majority of cases than the extra 5%-7%
performance gains one gets by using all the tweaks -O2 does that
defeat debugging.  Sigh.