Re: `key-binding' and XEmacs-style events

From: Stuart D. Herring
Subject: Re: `key-binding' and XEmacs-style events
Date: Sat, 3 Mar 2007 22:13:18 -0800 (PST)

> Is it documented anywhere that this a valid way to create a key
> sequence with modifiers?

See (elisp)Changing Key Bindings.

> Should we change EVENT_HAS_PARAMETERS itself maybe?  Or EVENTP?

As far as I can tell, this is the only place where it matters.  "Real"
events -- those that are generated by user input -- are never of this
form, since it's not the "real" representation.  (This is at least true
for keys; I don't know whether mouse events can have this structure, but
they can't very well be misclassified by the current macros!)  Even
`lookup-key' handles them properly; it's just the special code in
`key-binding' that needs to decide whether to intuit a position that
doesn't already support them.

I actually considered changing EVENT_HAS_PARAMETERS first, but decided
that (since I knew of no other bugs caused by it) it was safer and simpler
to just change the logic in the one place.

Davis

shipping.