Re: Options menu

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Options menu
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2005 22:34:41 -0500

      Some get saved if they were set through the menu
    bar _or_ through Custom.  (There does not seem to be too much we can
    do about that right now.

This behavior is not wrong.  We should not "do anything" about it.

      Without storing more stuff in property
    lists, Emacs can not distinguish.)  Others get apparently saved to the
    `custom-set-variables-form' no matter how they got a non-standard
    value.  This might be easier to fix.

I don't think it is broken, so please don't try to fix it.

    The text-mode-hook problem occurs even if text-mode-hook gets saved
    through Custom, although in a less bad form.

This, I think, is worth fixing.  Fixing it in menu-bar.el could be
easy.  Here's one idea:

Create an option text-mode-auto-fill-mode which, if t, means enable
use of auto-fill when in text mode.  This option's defcustom could
have a :set function that updates text-mode-hook.

Then menu-bar.el only needs to toggle that option in a way that
runs its :set function, and save that option when appropriate.