Re: Options menu

From: Luc Teirlinck
Subject: Re: Options menu
Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2005 19:26:57 -0600 (CST)

David Kastrup wrote:

   Well, that assessment of the situation certainly sounds like
   qualifying for the "bug fixes" department even before the release, and
   I don't think it can be considered adequately addressed in
   release-quality merely by having the "Save Options" menu entry appear
   above the "Customize Emacs" submenu.

It is not really as bad as I may have made it seem.  The options that
get saved are those options that are _listed_ in the menu and that are
not buffer local.  Some get saved if they were set through the menu
bar _or_ through Custom.  (There does not seem to be too much we can
do about that right now.  Without storing more stuff in property
lists, Emacs can not distinguish.)  Others get apparently saved to the
`custom-set-variables-form' no matter how they got a non-standard
value.  This might be easier to fix.

The text-mode-hook problem occurs even if text-mode-hook gets saved
through Custom, although in a less bad form.  A similar problem occurs
when saving any hook variable through Custom.  It is a known problem
to be addressed some time after the release.  The problem with the
menu bar is much worse than the general Custom problem however,
because the user does not even get a chance to notice that he is
saving unrelated stuff to text-mode-hook.  The problem occurs when
trying to save "Word Wrap in Text Modes".  Maybe it might be better to
either enable global auto-fill in all modes (if I understand
correctly, that has just recently become possible) or to enable
auto-fill on a buffer by buffer basis.  Either one would make the hook
problem go away in as far as the menu bar is concerned.

Sincerely,

Luc.