Re: Options menu

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: Options menu
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2005 07:12:04 +0900

On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 17:26:02 +0100, David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:
> b) one of the few additions we have is the "Hide/Show" menu.  It
> appears that similar functionality is available in other applications
> as a top-level menu "View".  There has pretty much consent on the list
> that this does not seem to be a good option for Emacs (and it
> certainly would be a large change).

Actually I think the name "Hide/Show" was chosen precisely because it
is used in other GUI applications, usually as a submenu of a top-level
"View" menu.

The top-level "View" menu in other apps tends to be much more general,
with "Hide/Show" as a submenu for enabling various toolbars, status
lines, etc.

[Stuff like this tends to change periodically as the winds of GUI
fashion blow of course; the above was true at the time the menu was
initially added.]

-Miles
--
Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball.