Re: Setting font to Lucida Grande on Mac OS X

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: Setting font to Lucida Grande on Mac OS X
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2003 21:23:20 +0900

Looks good to me.  A few comments.

    Luc> I also replaced the `eleven' in:

    Luc>     Under X, each font has a long name which consists of
    Luc> eleven words or numbers, separated by dashes.

    Luc> by `fourteen', because this seems like an obvious error.  An
    Luc> XLFD contains fourteen fields, even though one of these is
    Luc> usually empty.

That is certainly correct for X11Rn, for n >= 4.  In

!   Under X, each font has a long name which consists of fourteen words
! or numbers, separated by dashes.  Some fonts also have shorter
! address@hidden is such a nickname.  You can use either kind
! of name.  You can use wildcard patterns for the font name; then Emacs
! lets X choose one of the fonts that match the pattern.  The wildcard
! character @samp{*} matches any sequence of characters (including none)
! and @samp{?} matches any single character.  (Theoretically, this
! includes dashes.  In practice however, this does not always work
! completely reliably and, depending on the implementation, some fonts
! may not be found unless you explicitly write @emph{all} required
! dashes.)  Here is an example, which happens to specify the font whose
! nickname is @samp{6x13}:

I would change the last few lines to:

and @samp{?} matches any single character.  Wildcards may match
dashes.  However, matching is implementation-dependent, and often is
inaccurate, when wildcards match dashes.  It works best if you supply
all 14 dashes.  Here is an example, which happens to specify the font
whose nickname is @samp{6x13}:

In the following

  @address@hidden@address@hidden@address@hidden@address@hidden
  @end smallexample

+ (In this, @var{charset} actually consists of two fields, separated by
+ a dash, see below.)

I have to question the use of the term "charset" which has a different
meaning in Mule, which also historically typically used names (such as
latin-iso8859-1) that are not valid XLFD registries.  It is true that
most Mule charsets correspond to an XLFD registry, but not all do.  I
would substitute "registry", which is a strange term to most people,
but won't bring in the connotations of "charset."  (Of course this use
of "charset" is previous to your change.  And that change should be
made whether or not my suggestion about "registry" is accepted.)