Re: Setting font to Lucida Grande on Mac OS X

From: Sancho Neves-Graca
Subject: Re: Setting font to Lucida Grande on Mac OS X
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2003 03:19:38 +0200

Thanks to Luc and Andrew for their replies. My posting fell somewhere between a user problem and a development issue. From the point of view of a user, he would check on the documentation for how to set a desired font on a frame, namely the font used by his operating system per default. But as soon as it is apparent that Emacs does not seem to know about such font, it does become a development question. Andrew clarified that the Carbon implementation of Emacs does not directly make use of the native TrueType font. Thus fonts kept in /System/Library/Fonts are not directly used by Emacs. There does seem to me to be a scarce availablity of fonts for the Emacs Carbon implementation. The default font (Monaco) is in my opinion hard on the eyes either for source code or XML editing, because the vertical to horizontal ratio of a letter box is too high. Contrast that with the default font setting of Project Builder (Lucida Grande Regular 11 pt), where the letters are much more well-rounded and pleasing to the eye. One working solution is to use good old Courier ("-*-Courier-*-140-*"). I have now built Emacs on Mac OS X using X11 and the offered fonts are others than those that can be set with the Carbon implementation and again Courier looks the best compromise. Perhaps with the X11 build new fonts for Emacs can more readily be installed.