Re: Setting font to Lucida Grande on Mac OS X

From: Luc Teirlinck
Subject: Re: Setting font to Lucida Grande on Mac OS X
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2003 21:34:17 -0500 (CDT)

Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

   If you want to have a reasonably good expectation of getting a match,
   use a fully qualified XLFD.  xfontsel is a convenient way to produce
   these.  The technical definition is more complex, but you'll hardly
   ever go wrong if you think of "fully qualified XLFD" as "containing
   exactly 14 hyphens, and starting with a hyphen".

   Especially in a world where we (at least sometimes) ask Windows and
   Mac users to specify XLFDs for their fonts, I think this should be in
   the Emacs manual.

What about the following patch?  I could commit it if desired.
I also replaced the `eleven' in:

    Under X, each font has a long name which consists of eleven words or
    numbers, separated by dashes.

by `fourteen', because this seems like an obvious error.  An XLFD
contains fourteen fields, even though one of these is usually empty.

===File ~/cmdargs-diff======================================
cd ~/
diff -c /home/teirllm/cmdargs.old.texi /home/teirllm/cmdargs.texi
*** /home/teirllm/cmdargs.old.texi      Tue Sep 16 18:58:01 2003
--- /home/teirllm/cmdargs.texi  Tue Sep 16 21:21:54 2003
***************
*** 706,717 ****
  Use font @var{name} as the default font.
  @end table

!   Under X, each font has a long name which consists of eleven words or
! numbers, separated by dashes.  Some fonts also have shorter
! address@hidden is such a nickname.  You can use either kind of
! name.  You can use wildcard patterns for the font name; then Emacs lets
! X choose one of the fonts that match the pattern.  Here is an example,
! which happens to specify the font whose nickname is @samp{6x13}:

  @smallexample
  emacs -fn \
--- 706,723 ----
  Use font @var{name} as the default font.
  @end table

!   Under X, each font has a long name which consists of fourteen words
! or numbers, separated by dashes.  Some fonts also have shorter
! address@hidden is such a nickname.  You can use either kind
! of name.  You can use wildcard patterns for the font name; then Emacs
! lets X choose one of the fonts that match the pattern.  The wildcard
! character @samp{*} matches any sequence of characters (including none)
! and @samp{?} matches any single character.  (Theoretically, this
! includes dashes.  In practice however, this does not always work
! completely reliably and, depending on the implementation, some fonts
! may not be found unless you explicitly write @emph{all} required
! dashes.)  Here is an example, which happens to specify the font whose
! nickname is @samp{6x13}:

  @smallexample
  emacs -fn \
***************
*** 732,737 ****
--- 738,746 ----
  @address@hidden@address@hidden@address@hidden@address@hidden
  @end smallexample

+ (In this, @var{charset} actually consists of two fields, separated by
+ a dash, see below.)
+
  @table @var
  @item maker
  This is the name of the font manufacturer.

Diff finished at Tue Sep 16 21:22:40