Re: last character on line different when behind invis text?

From: Damien Elmes
Subject: Re: last character on line different when behind invis text?
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2002 01:28:19 +1000

Damien Elmes <address@hidden> writes:

> Sacha Chua <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> (insert-string
>>    (concat
>>       "Line 1 with " (propertize "invisible text." 'invisible \t 'intangible
>> t)
>>     "\nLine 2 with " (propertize "invisible text." 'invisible t 'intangible
>> t)
>>     "\nLine 3 with visible text.\n"))
>
> After that text is inserted into the buffer in CVS, you can also see that (c-x
> =) doesn't identify the last char on a line as a C-j as in previous emacsen.

Okay, I've dug through intervals.c in an effort to find out what's going on.
The change appears to be related to adjust_for_invis_intang() which Miles B
added on 14/3.

I've found that I can return to the old behavior of previous emacsen (ie, c-k
on the first line will only kill to the end of the line), by turning off
rear-sticky, as adjust_for_invis_intang checks to see if the text properties
of the invis+intang text are sticky or not. So a line like so works:

"Line 1 with " (propertize "invisible text." 'invisible t 'intangible t
rear-nonsticky t)

It looks like the code I inherited was using some magic which has broken with
the new way invis+intangible text is handled. I'll look into that and see if I
can figure out what's going on before bothering you guys again.

Regards,

--
Damien Elmes