Re: last character on line different when behind invis text?

From: Sacha Chua
Subject: Re: last character on line different when behind invis text?
Date: 26 Aug 2002 13:12:49 +0800

> What appears to have changed in CVS is that c-x = on the end of a line with
> invisible characters in it, actually reveals the last invisible character,
> instead of the new line.
>
> Can you provide a precise test case?  It is not feasible to think
> about what's going on here without one.

Related test case:

Killing a line that ends with invisible text results in killing the
next line as well, even if it has visible text that is clearly not
part of the first line. To wit:

After an emacs -q, eval this in a scratch buffer:

(insert-string
   (concat
      "Line 1 with " (propertize "invisible text." 'invisible \t 'intangible t)
    "\nLine 2 with " (propertize "invisible text." 'invisible t 'intangible t)
    "\nLine 3 with visible text.\n"))

Output:
Line 1 with
Line 2 with
Line 3 with visible text.

Position point on line 1 (say, on the n) and kill the line.

I expect output to be:
Li
Line 2 with
Line 3 with visible text.

But output is:
Li

Strange. Please explain behavior of end-of-visible-line? I've been
staring at this piece of code and I know what it does, but not why it
makes sense to skip over visible characters that are part of a different
line.

--
Sacha Chua <address@hidden> - 4 BS CS Ateneo geekette
interests: emacs, gnu/linux, wearables, teaching compsci