Re: [CVS] f7, f8 bound..

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: [CVS] f7, f8 bound..
Date: 27 Aug 2002 13:55:42 +0200

> As all that wonderful functionality is available through C-x C-k, the
> fact is that you're reserving two F-keys basically to start recording a
> macro (inserting counters is useful, but secondary), to finish recording
> it and to recall it. The last use I can understand, but you don't record a
> macro that often. What's wrong with having a multikey binding?

Nothing as such, but it makes a nice interface to have this on two
function keys next to each other.  Of course I biased, as I first
implemented and started using kmacro 10 years ago!!

Actually, back then, no function keys had default bindings (not even
F1), so I put it on F1 and F2 ... and I still have it there :-)

And since then, I use keyboard macros _A LOT_ -- because it is now so
easy to start(!), end and call them...

> All that said, I'm not opposing in any way to using F3/F4 or F7/F8; is
> not that important an issue. I'm just venting my opinion that I feel
> vaguely "wrong" to steal the F-keys from the user.

Nothing's stolen from the user.  He is offered a service which he can
refuse to use.  I don't see the harm.