Re: Suggestions for mode-line-format changes

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: Suggestions for mode-line-format changes
Date: 27 Aug 2002 11:16:27 +0200

Miles Bader <address@hidden> writes:

> Michael Kifer <address@hidden> writes:
> >     Miles> I'd like it so that command in one of the source buffers
> >     Miles> simply mapped to the control buffer, which would stay
> >     Miles> hidden (even when `in use').
> >
> > This info is present, since each buffer has a local var that contain the
> > list of control buffers of the ediff sessions related to it.
>
> Ok; so perhaps the following would suffice:
>
>   * A minor-mode that just contains a keymap full of appropriate
>     commands that redirect to the first ediff control-buffer in the list
>     (perhaps conditionalized on buffer-read-only like in diff-mode).
>     It looks like `ediff-prepare-buffer-hook' could be used to turn on
>     the minor mode in each source buffer.

For my normal ediff usage, the 'read-only' is command mode idea is
really quite interesting.

I use CVSREAD=y, i.e. my cvs files any normally checked out read-only.
Only when I do "C-x v v", the file becomes writeable.

Now, if I want to merge a change from one branch of the CVS tree, I first
commit the changes on one branch, leaving the buffer containing the modified
file read-only.

I then open the file from the other branch and do C-x v v to make that revision
writeable.

This means that in one window I have the file _with modifications_
that I need to merge from (the source buffer) which is read-only, and
in another window I have the file _without modifications_ which need
to be patched (the target buffer) which is writeable.

Now, with Miles' idea, I can freely edit the writeable target buffer
using all my usual emacs commands without worrying about ediff, and to
emit ediff commands, I simply switch to the read-only source buffer
where the minor-mode keymap gives instant access to the ediff commands.

Since this is how I use ediff 99% of the time, I'd love a simplified
GUI like that!

And although I've used ediff for years (and love it for the things it
can do) I have never used multiple ediff sessions.