Re: Suggestions for mode-line-format changes

From: Michael Kifer
Subject: Re: Suggestions for mode-line-format changes
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2002 01:51:29 -0400

> Michael Kifer <address@hidden> writes:
> > >   * A minor-mode that just contains a keymap full of appropriate
> > >     commands that redirect to the first ediff control-buffer in the list
> > >     (perhaps conditionalized on buffer-read-only like in diff-mode).
> > >     It looks like `ediff-prepare-buffer-hook' could be used to turn on
> > >     the minor mode in each source buffer.
> >
> > Pretty much.  However, I think that defaulting to one of the active control
> > sessions is no good.  Could be too confusing and frustrating.
> > Need a mechanism to set the default session.
>
> I think that 99% of the time, the control-buffer list will only have one
> entry anyway, and it's obviously harmless to `default' in _that_ case!
>
> I also think it's a good idea to worry about the common case before the
> worst case, especially since the worst case is already covered, by the
> existing control-window mechanism.
>
> Note that:
>
>   * I'm not suggesting that this minor-mode be turned on by default,
>     just that it be available for people like me that don't like the
>     normal UI (though perhaps with the `buffer-read-only'
>     conditionalization, it wouldn't hurt to have it on by default).
>
>   * If the control buffer isn't hidden, you can use it just like
>     always, so no functionality is really lost.  I suspect that if
>     people start having multiple simultaneous ediffs on the same
>     buffer, they're going to want to use the control-buffer windows
>     anyway, for the reasons you gave earlier.
>
>     If they want to use the source-buffer minor-mode commands in
>     _addition_ to the control-buffer in a `complex' ediff situation, a
>     good solution might be to simply reorder each source-buffer's
>     control-buffer list everytime an ediff command is given, so that the
>     command-giving control-buffer is first in the source-buffer's list.
>
>     This way, the `ediff session' invoked by the minor-mode will always
>     be the most recent one invoked via control-buffer, without needing
>     any additional command for setting defaults or whatever.  This seems
>     like a straight-forward solution that will usually do the right
>     thing even in complex cases.
>
> -miles

I don't know. I don't like programs that know better than I what I should
be doing. Note also that if you have 2 buffers, the order of ediff sessions
in which they are involved might be different. This would lead to even more
confusion. I just don't see the benefits. All these complications
for the privilege of being able to hold your mouse over a different window
than now?

Of course, if you implement it and people like this -- all the power to you!

        --michael