Re: [emacs-bidi] Re: Does this sample file look right?

From: Scot Becker
Subject: Re: [emacs-bidi] Re: Does this sample file look right?
Date: Wed, 19 May 2010 17:49:22 +0100

Eli,

Thanks for your fulsome replies.  Now I get it.

I had assumed that 'paragraph' meant 'delimited by one or more
newlines'.  That was part of the problem.
I can now set bidi-paragraph-direction to right-to-left, and get what
I expected.

Sort of.  The odd thing is that I get pretty good visual composition
of the characters with all of the Unicode Hebrew-vowel-capable fonts
I've tried---as long as the RTL lines are left-aligned.  You're right,
this is just a font feature.  Emacs thinks they are separate
characters.  But as soon as I set bidi-paragraph-direction to
right-align the Hebrew lines--how it should be---I loose that visual
composition on the character level, whatever the font.  So for the
moment, I'll keep the lines aligned wrongly, so that the text is
readable, and have a look at Yair's interim work on character
composition.

Thanks for clearing this up.

Scot