Re: [emacs-bidi] Re: Does this sample file look right?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: [emacs-bidi] Re: Does this sample file look right?
Date: Wed, 19 May 2010 19:00:12 +0300

> From: Scot Becker <address@hidden>
> Date: Wed, 19 May 2010 12:21:02 +0100
>
> I play with it, and if I start a paragraph with Hebrew, I can get
> right-aligned text, but that breaks the nice vocalization formatting.
> (Meaning that the vowels look again like they did two weeks ago, each
> after their consonant instead of below it.)  Is this a bug, something
> wrong with my setup, or the bidi of the file, or just the in-progress
> state of vowel point formatting of the emacs bidi code?

It's a missing feature: we don't yet have in Emacs rules for combining
diacriticals with consonants.  Yair is working on that, and he posted
on several occasions some interim results.  You could find them in the
emacs-devel archives.  They might fix this for you.

The fact that you do see the diacriticals composed sometimes is
probably due to some feature of the fonts you use.  Does Emacs
consider each consonant and its diacriticals as a single character,
i.e. does it move past all of them to the next consonant when you
press C-f?  If you need to press C-f several times to move past the
consonant and its diacriticals, then you don't see character
composition, but a feature of your fonts.