Re: [emacs-bidi] Re: Bidirectional display in GUI sessions

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: [emacs-bidi] Re: Bidirectional display in GUI sessions
Date: Wed, 05 May 2010 06:22:29 +0300

> Date: Tue, 4 May 2010 19:00:38 -0500
> From: Gregg Reynolds <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden
>
> > Basically, you just set bidi-display-reordering to a non-nil value,
> > either on a per-buffer basis, or everywhere (with setq-default), and
> > that's it.
> >
> > Doesn't seem to be an option.  I do M-x set-variable, and the only bidi var
> is "bidi-paragraph-direction".

It's not a user-level option.  Set it like this:

  M-: (setq bidi-display-reordering t) RET

> > Try "C-h H" first: bidi-display-reordering is set automatically in
> > that buffer, so you should be able to see the Arabic greeting
> > reordered correctly (assuming you have the font installed).
> >

> No bidi.  I can see the Arabic chars, but they are left-to-right.  I checked
> and bidi-display-reordering is t.  But the Hebrew seems to be RTL.

??? If you move the cursor through the Arabic characters, doesn't it
move right to left?  I definitely see the order of the characters
change when I toggle bidi-display-reordering on and off.

> This is running emacs -nw on OS X 10.5.8, after running bzr merge.

What "bzr merge"?  Are you using the current trunk or something else?

> Emacs.app seems to behave like emacs -nw, but I'm not getting Arabic glyphs
> no matter what font.  The OS X font selection dialog comes up ok and seems
> to work (apple-key t) but even when I select an Arabic font I'm not seeing
> Arabic glyphs.
>
> Do you have an issue tracker or wiki somewhere?

M-x report-emacs-bug RET, but please before that ask on emacs-devel,
perhaps some other OS X users can help you.  I don't see any of these
problems.