Re: [emacs-bidi] improve visual-to-logical

From: Alex Schroeder
Subject: Re: [emacs-bidi] improve visual-to-logical
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2001 16:14:29 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

> I don't recomment using the latter: it's not a good idea to mix two
> different charsets in Emacs.  If you use hebrew-iso8859-8 charset, stick
> to it all the way.  If you want to use the Unicode characters, stick to
> them, but then your current code should be rewritten a bit (the tables,
> mostly).

I don't understand.  I don't use the hebrew-iso8859-8 charset
directly.  The table code I wrote will assign bidi types to the
characters in hebrew-iso8859-8 just like in all the other 8859
charsets.  And the rest of my code works with these bidi types.

Perhaps this is the wrong way to solve the problem, anyway.  What I'm
trying to do is find a way to implement what Ehud Karni suggested:

> A simple way to do it is: 1. Add LRM at both ends of any SLS (strong
> L string). 2. For left to right reading paragraph - inverse each of
> the SLSs. For right to left reading paragraph - inverse each of the
> strings that are NOT SLS. The optimization is to get rid of the
> redundant LRMs.

I will look at other ways of accomlishing that without introducing
LRM.  Maybe I can just look at the TYPES list somewhere and force one
bidi type or another.

Alex.
--
http://www.emacswiki.org/