[emacs-bidi] improve visual-to-logical

From: Alex Schroeder
Subject: [emacs-bidi] improve visual-to-logical
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2001 13:14:09 +0100

"Ehud Karni" <address@hidden> writes:

>   1. Some visual text can not be put into logical order without
>      formatting characters.

You are right.  I didn't fully appreciate this.

>   2. The adding of formatting characters makes it easier to convert
>      visual text to logical order.

Slowly I'm getting there.  :)

>>> A simple way to do it is: 1. Add LRM at both ends of any SLS
>>> (strong L string). 2. For left to right reading paragraph -
>>> inverse each of the SLSs. For right to left reading paragraph -
>>> inverse each of the strings that are NOT SLS. The optimization is
>>> to get rid of the redundant LRMs.

I must be missing something related to the LRM character.  In your
hebeng.el I find a unicode LRM, but when I look it up ?\375 is 00FD,
which is "LATIN SMALL LETTER Y WITH ACUTE".  I assume that ?\375 is
LRM only in 8859-8 -- but what is the real UCS code-point?  Since
Emacs 21 has mule-unicode charsets, perhaps I can use that instance of
LRM.

Alex.
--
http://www.emacswiki.org/