Re: [emacs-bidi] reordering based on implicit levels

From: Alex Schroeder
Subject: Re: [emacs-bidi] reordering based on implicit levels
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2001 15:32:30 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

> On Mon, 12 Nov 2001, Alex Schroeder wrote:
>
>> Now I am completely confused.  It seems that I can apply my code
>> (which essential does logical to visual according to UAX#9 without
>> taking explicit directional types into account) to visual order text
>> and get the correct logical representation.  I'm not sure wether that
>> result is entirely expected.  :)
>
> I expected it ;-)  I think, without explicit embeddings, the algorithm
> is invertible.

Hm, but then I could just add treatment of explicit codes and then
we'd have a pretty good UAX#9 implementation in lisp.  This would
normally not be necessary for Emacs, because the important stuff will
be in the display engine -- but it might be an interesting tool for
users.  One example I could think of is string comparison: Is string A
visually equivalent to string B?

First, of course, I'll look at the paragraph stuff.  :)

Alex.
--
http://www.emacswiki.org/