Re: [emacs-bidi] explicit formatting codes in visual-order text

From: Alex Schroeder
Subject: Re: [emacs-bidi] explicit formatting codes in visual-order text
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2001 15:26:59 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

>> If you copy the text into a clipboard, however, you may still find
>> them in the output:
>>
>>   this is a <RLO>xof<PDF>.
>
> No!  Copying into the clipboard, if it requires a visual-order string,
> will remove the formatting codes.  We cannot assume that a program
> which doesn't support bidi (and thus needs a visual-order text) can
> cope with bidirectional formatting codes.

You are right.  I was actually thinking about paste and copy from
other apps to Emacs, but I now think that we don't have to worry about
it.  Here's what I thought: Such a bidi-aware app *might* leave the
formatting codes in the output.  Such an application would still be
considered conformant with respect to UAX#9, I believe.  I do think
that such an application is broken: If it is bidi-aware and the target
is bidi-aware, then it should put logical order and formatting codes
into the clipboard, if it is bidi aware and the target is not, then it
should put visual order and no formatting codes into the clipboard.
If it puts visual order *and* formatting codes into the clipboard, it
is broken.

Alex.
--
http://www.emacswiki.org/