[emacs-bidi] explicit formatting codes in visual-order text

From: Alex Schroeder
Subject: [emacs-bidi] explicit formatting codes in visual-order text
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2001 03:10:35 +0100

> As for explicit formatting codes in visual-order text, I don't think
> there is such a thing.  (If someone have seen this, please speak
> up.)  UAX#9 clearly says that formatting codes are either removed or
> ignored when reordering from logical to visual.

Yes, so it says.  I think this means that an implementation which
leaves the formatting codes as zero-width characters in the text is
still conformant.  Thus:

  this is a <RLO>fox<PDF>.

Is displayed as:

  this is a xof.

If you copy the text into a clipboard, however, you may still find
them in the output:

  this is a <RLO>xof<PDF>.

I get this impression from reading "Retaining Format Codes" in UAX#9,
without actually thinking through all the rule modifications they
propose.

Alex.
--
http://www.emacswiki.org/